Sunday, April 18, 2010

Cocktails At Sea




When a fellow cruiser calls on the VHF and asks  you over to their boat for drinks, it helps to know the unwritten rules of coctails at sea. 






  Always bring your own grog.
  Polite cruisers always bring their own snacks and are usually asked back again.
  Leave before supper hour unless things are otherwise indicated.

There are also a few idioms it is helpful to understand before you acquiesce to cocktail invitations.

  "Light hors d'heurves" means small snacks that won't spoil your dinner.
  "Heavy hors d'heurves" means lay it on--this is the meal, and you had better bring something good.
 "Do you Farkle?" means you will be asked to participate in games.
 "They've just come over" means that the people on said boat are straight from the mainland and have fresh provisions, like good cheese, fruits and veggies, and possibly cookies.  Don't miss this event.

Last summer on Long Island Sound, our friend on S/V Tosca (who has never cruised the Bahamas) invited us aboard his sailing vessel for cocktails.  We went with the usual bottle of wine for me, a container of rum and coke for Buz and a plate of nibblies to share.  On our arrival, our host was completely taken aback. 

-Why did you bring all that? 

-He's just being polite, we thought.

As he ushered us below, a sight like none I've ever seen on a cruising vessel met my eyes.  Soft jazz serenaded our ears.  Delicious aromas got our noses twitching and the spread laid out before us was spectacular.  It was supper.  Our Tosca host prides himself on his Italian cooking skills and his sommelier nose.  One of his hor d'heurves that night was

Beets With Spiced Cheese.

Here is a representation of my efforts to reproduce said beets for my dear husband last night.

The humble beets.  Choose ones small enough to be cut into bite-size slices.


Boil beets in water until soft, but not too soft.  The water turns deep red.
Of course, one could use canned beets, but celebrity chef Jamie Oliver would not approve.


Slice to no more than 1/4 inch thick and garnish with spiced cheese. 
Boursin would be perfect, but I used Philadelphia Cream and basil leafs here.


Where's my lemon juice?


Presentation


The not so willing taster.  "You know beets are not my favorite!"


The reaction.  A picture is worth a thousand words.
Needless to say, I ate all the hors d'heurves for supper along with my meat kabobbs.
They were sweet and delicious and I heartily reccommend them to those who do not have prejudices against them.


Oh, and by the way, here is your standing invitation to cocktails aboard M/V Steadfast next winter.  Unwritten rules apply.  :)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

The expression on his face is priceless! Not a fan of the beets, I take it.

Amanda Tempel said...

Hey There!
I'm a new follower from Friday Follow. I hope you'll come by and follow me too :)

While your there please feel free to check out one of my newest giveaways for a SodaStream Machine. Or you can even read about things I like under my look at life tab.

Anyways,
Take Care; I'll be back to check up periodically.

-Amanda T
http://mylifewithratsandmore.blogspot.com

Oh and yes his face, he dosen't look to thrilled lol >.<

VKT said...

I would have to agree....beets are just not my favorite thing. His expression is priceless!

Unknown said...

So the Bahama rules of Coctail time explain alot---

and the Beets look Delicious! Niels and I love Beets!

Veronica Lee said...

LOL, love the expression! I'm not a fan of beets either!!

Happy Monday Rosemary.

Sara said...

I love the do you Farkle. When camping we are always asked that and we love playing a mean game of Farkle.

I love his expression, so priceless. It would be my same face. I am also not a fan of the beets
Have a wonderful day!

MollyinMinn said...

Seriously? That reaction shot. I just about spit out my coffee. What a riot.

Peggy said...

My husband eats most anything, but he will say that beets are not his favorite...and you know, I don't think they are that bad!

JennyMac said...

that is the same face I make when exposed to beets. LOL.

I officially miss our boat after being reminded of the cocktail ettiquette!