Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I Am Judas!


Woe is me!  I have betrayed my friend of 27 years!  Fifteen years ago, when he was ailing badly, I hugged him and told him that I loved him, and gave my heart to him.  I encouraged him to live, to flourish, to hang on and be with me forever.  The doctor did his best,

-Probably a good five years, was his guess.

It's been 15... 

YEARS! 

Thru thick and thin, there he was: 

   Strong.  Surviving.  Sheltering.

Sunday evening as we tucked into bed, we had the windows closed, air-conditioning pumping.  Heat and humidity make for difficult night's sleeping and we needed to be good for the 'morrow.  About two o'clock in the morning, Hubby gets up, turns off the fan, opens the bedroom window.

-What are you doing?  It's so hot.

-But, it's the last night with him.  I want to hear him moving in the wind.

Breakfast outside in our pajamas, with food on a tray, our last few moments together.  Taking pictures, trying not to cry (my eyes are moist now as I recount the scene).



Before we were ready (would we ever be?) there was the death squad.  Marching forward in their day-glow uniforms, overalls, helmets, face-guards and weapons,  armed with sharps and tethers, Katrina and Steve began to assess their best line of approach.  It had begun. 

I retreated indoors, not wanting to be there for the first assault.




It took many hours.  Step by step, the agents of destruction did their work and our friend succumbed to the inevitable.  We saw for ourselves how diseased and in pain he was, but it was little consolation.  He was gone.  His stalwart form, his shade and shelter, his presence and ultimately, his menace were all gone.  No longer would we cringe in fear at each great wind, waiting to see if he would weather the storm.  The danger of a disaster was over, but he left a void in his wake. 






Soon a replacement will take his place, but he will not be forgotten.  He has served as a goal post in winter hockey, a hiding spot for hide and seek, a touch-stone in tag, a sentinel for kite flying, a witness for anniversary parties, weddings, and birthdays, a headstone for our first dog's grave site.  We miss him already.  Our backyard is naked without him.  I feel like a Judas, having given him over to the axe.  Perhaps birthing a new tree will exonerate me, ameliorate the pain and redeem the void.

Perhaps.





12 comments:

Crimsonfirestudios said...

Perhaps you should have something made from your tree to remember him by. He was quite a large tree. Maybe there is a wonderful artist to carve something from the wood of your tree. Here is a little poem.. hope you feel better soon. Michelle

Trees are poems that earth writes upon the sky,
We fell them down and turn them into paper,
That we may record our emptiness.
- Kahlil Gibran

Karen Mortensen said...

Sorry for the loss of your tree. That must of been hard. I like what the person above said. That would be a good idea to make something from the wood.

Jennifer Farris said...

You're not a Judas! You're more like Old Yeller's owner...you just had to "take care of him" before he hurt somebody.

Pam said...

What wonderful sentiment to the good years you've all seen together. It IS hard, but you know in your heart, you did the right thing. You will plant another tree and this one will live on in memories when even the pictures have faded.

Tiffany said...

Ah, I felt the same way when I had a tree cut from my yard.

Peace, Love and Chocolate
Tiffany

Unknown said...

Oh i'm so sad!!
I can only imagine how terrible this must feel!

I totally like what Jennifer had to say!

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

There is nothing so sad as taking down a beautiful tree. I had to do it at the cottage when we remodeled and I'm still getting over it. I wish you luck.

Anonymous said...

Awww, you were right to give thanks and hugs. Losses take all forms. Thanks for posting this.

Heather said...

Oh. That IS sad.
I like the idea of having something made from the tree. My dad cut down the tree in our front yard and my brother made my daughter a doll cradle from it. It is very sentimental to me.
I am glad to know I am not the only one who has mourned a tree!!

Unknown said...

Mum,
Yes, a few tears have fallen here too. Wow, the wrot! YOu and Buz must be so sad. Have fun picking out a new Maple.
What are the neighbours doing with their Bank?
CN

Cranberry Morning said...

I actually started out on your Friday post, finding you at Friday-Follow. But then I scrolled down and read about the beloved tree. How SAD!! We were wanting to build an attached garage, but it would have meant cutting down our maple. I said no. So now in rain or snow, sleet or hail, we walk through the weather to get to the garage - but the maple stands.

I am so sorry about your tree. It is hard to lose a tree you love! :-(

Pat Tillett said...

Hi there,
A sad story. I love trees and it pains me when they are cut down for no reason other than to build something. Sometimes (like this time) they must be cut down for safety reasons, I get that, but it's still a bit sad...

Thanks for commenting and following my blog. I came by for a look and I really like what I see. Photos and stories! If you don't mind, I'm going to tag along!
thanks again...