Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Wine Tasting

Way back in the day, Dad used to grow his own grapes and make his own wine.  I grew up dreading the annual uncorking, the day I'd have to taste it...yuck.  It smelled like dirty socks.  As soon as the glass came under my nose, I'd know I couldn't do it.  I just could not bring that vile concoction to my lips.

And then, there were the eruptions, explosions, and run-for-the-hills-the-sky-is-falling episodes that are worthy of a book in and of themselves.  Three months after my Dad passed away and my sister and I reaped his bumper crop of grapes, crushed them, got them into the glass carboy, put in the bubbler and left them to perculate, one would have thought it was the Day of Judgment!  I'll have to tell that story another time.  Enough said.

And so, it's been thirteen years.  You have already read how I came to be making wine for myself this year.  Who knew it would come to this????

October 21st was the day I bottled 31 bottles of Australian Shiraz from the Wine Kitz shop.  At $3.50 per bottle, how bad could it be?  Not wanting to rush the process, even though Gail told me it would be drinkable immediately, I had decided to let it mature for a month.  This weekend made it three weeks exactly!   We had a quorum.  Why wait?


Well, we all thought it was certainly drinkable.  In the heat of the moment, I didn't look for leggs, I don't remember the bouquet, and did overlook the jammy bouche.  I was just glad I could swallow it without gagging!  The remaining 30 bottles are now sleeping in the wine cellar for at least another month.  They need more time.  Yes, I did okay with this.  I did not waste my investment, and I have hope that it will smooth out over time.  Did Day say things like this????

Post Script: 
Here is the last plea for votes.  The polls close on November the 17th.  So far, I am standing at #36 of 160-some Top Canadian Blogs.  Click on the pink circle on the right sidebar and please vote for me. 
This will also be your last chance to comment and qualify for a digital copy of the My Memorie Suites Scrap Booking program.
Thank you one and all for playing along.

11 comments:

Sush said...

My Grandfather used to make wine in his basement in New Orleans. On very hot summer days some of the corks would start to blow! My Dad said you could hear this pop pop popping noise coming from below. My Dad's favorite time was on a Sunday afternoon when the Sunday School superintendent was visiting. He said it drove my Grandmother bonkers!
Happy Tastings...

signed Meredith Gray...Pick Me Pick Me! LOL!

Manzanita said...

Fun video. I know the dirty sox wine smell. I can't waste anything so every fall I have to pick the berries and make wine, even though I don't drink. I do taste it, though. I do mine the old fashioned way. It turns out wonderfully well, though. Cheers.

Pearl said...

That is so cool!

And delicious.

Pearl

p.s. Voted for you!

Unknown said...

Yummy! Save a bottle for me--- actually, if your batch turns out drinkable, maybe I'll go make a batch for me!

Send me the details on which kind you picked and I'll see if Wine Kitz around here has it!

Christine G. said...

I just bottled the Barrolo (Italy) and plan to try to wait 2 - 4 mths before tasting! Like you, I was assured that we will be happy with this red, as much has changed in the world of wine kitz since we were young(er). And I started a Sommelier Oak aged Amarone, which the proprietor guarantees return of my investment $$$ if we're not delighted (says he'd be pleased to 'buy it back' and lay it down in his cellar!)

Tami said...

Congratulations on your first vintage. I'm not much of a wine drinker - and I know next to nothing about it, but it sounds like fun anyway. I Christmas gift to Hubby is supplies to try home beer brewing. I'm not a big fan of that either, but he is - so hope he is as successful as you. Maybe we can get together for a beer/wine tasting. :)

betty said...

Good for you for being a wine maker; toasting you with the glass of merlot by the computer! What a great adventure to do in honor of your dad and his efforts! I'll go over and vote for you right this minute! Good luck!

betty

Teena in Toronto said...

We keep meaning to make our own wine but just haven't gotten around to it.

Veronica Lee said...

What a great honour to your dad. He would have been so proud!

Rhonda said...

It was great tasting Aunt Rosemary!

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

I looks like you have a lot of fun at your house! You're a delight, it was so fun to see you on video. My new son-in-law makes wine at home and I must say, although I'm certainly no wine connoisseur, it's pretty good. At least it doesn't smell like old socks! I love your electric wine opener - I think I know someone who may get that for Christmas. Cheers!